Heavy periods and painful cramps suck. A major cause of these symptoms is uterine fibroids. Fibroids seem to linger amongst women and especially in the African American community. Some of our favorite foods are the main culprits and we have to finally stop to pay attention, or be forced to go into early menopause, have our uterus completely taken out or go under the knife.
If you opt for neither of those, listen up, cause there may be a way to shrink and eliminate your fibroids completely naturally:
Avoid Foods & Environmental Toxins That Make Fibroids Worse
According to Dr. Axe, in order to shrink fibroids, you have to start with eliminating certain foods from your diet. Those items include:
- High-Fat, Processed Meats
- Conventional Dairy
- Refined Sugar
- Refined Carbohydrates
- Pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, bleach, food preservatives, harmful cleaners (even certain eco-cleaners) and food dyes.
You’ll also want to opt for natural, unbleached feminine care products as well as organic body care products and makeup.
Eat & Consume Foods That Help Relieve Fibroids
Believe it or not, there are certain foods that can help aid in the process of eliminating and relieving fibroids. These are food to incorporate into your diet:
- Organic Foods
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Beta Carotene-Rich Foods like Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale & Spinach
- High-Iron Foods like Grass-Fed Beef & Legumes
- Whole Grains like Millet, Spelt, Brown Rice, Buckwheat, Rye & Oats
- Herbal Teas Made with Chasteberry, Milk Thistle, Yellow Dock, Dandelion Root, Nettle & Red Raspberry
Eating mostly organic foods may help to prevent and shrink fibroids because organic products are grown and made without the use of chemical pesticides. Organic green leafy vegetables have many anti-inflammatory effects, so they may discourage the growth of fibroids in a woman’s body. These vegetables are rich in vitamin K, which aid in blood clotting and help control menstrual bleeding. Since hormonal balance is key to natural fibroid treatment, you want to reduce your pesticide intake as much as possible.
Turn To The Essentials & Try Supplements That Aid In Fibroid Reduction
Introducing essential oils and supplements can aid in the reduction of fibroids, however always make sure to consult with your doctor about the supplements you plan on incorporating into your diet to ensure they are not interfering with any other medications you may be taking or have taken in the past. Try:
- Vitex or Chasteberry (400 milligrams, 2 times daily) For best results, Vitex should be taken for at least six months.
- Fish Oil (1,000 milligrams daily) or Flaxseed Oil (1 tablespoon daily)
- B-complex (50 milligrams daily)
- Progesterone Cream (1/4 teaspoon, days 6–26 of a cycle)
- Milk Thistle (150 milligrams, 2 times daily)
Try Castor Oil Packs
Castor oil contains an anti-inflammatory compound called ricinoleic acid. A 2011 study showed that castor oil packs can help improve detoxification and decrease symptoms associated with constipation.
Apply a castor oil pack to your abdomen to increase circulation in the lymphatic and circulatory systems and also increase lymphocytes which are white blood cells that eliminate disease-causing toxins from the body. Many holistic practitioners believe a buildup of toxins plays an important part in fibroid development.
According to a study, the more women exercise, the less likely they are to get uterine fibroids. Exercise helps create the circulation of blood flow, control blood pressure, can help improve insulin sensitivity, is beneficial for weight management, and may contribute to hormonal balance.