A teen was left disgusted after biting into his McDonald’s burger only to be greeted by a huge dead bug.
Connor Ribbons, 15, bought the Chicken Legend burger on April 14 but says he was horrified to make the gruesome discovery.
Upon taking a bite out of the burger, he felt the brittle legs of a large insect. His mother Anita, recalled driving Connor home at the time.
“The first warning that things weren’t right was when he picked what we now know was a leg out of his mouth. It was brittle and hard. “He said, ‘I’ve got a bone’ and I said not to worry. “Next he actually bit into it. He grabbed something out of his mouth and threw it back in the burger bun.
“He said, ‘Mum, it’s a bug; it’s a huge bug’. “He was totally disgusted. He couldn’t look at it."
After taking pictures of the dead grease-covered insect, they pair rushed back to the McDonalds restaurant where they bought the meal and demanded a full refund. They were provided a full refund and Anita filed a formal complaint.
Anita sent an email later where she detailed the horrific incident. However, Anita says nothing was done on their part until she posted the photos on social media. After sharing the gruesome photos online, McDonald’s finally got in touch with her and offered a voucher.
“The willingness to completely ignore me is just appalling, equally as bad as getting it [the bug] in there in the first place." Anita said.
“They’ve neglected all their duty of care. There could have been an infestation of these things." she added.
A McDonald’s spokesperson later released a statement.
“We are sorry to hear about Ms Ribbons and Connor’s experience."
“Food quality and safety are of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards in order to avoid any imperfections."
“Ms Ribbons spoke to our restaurant team at the time and the food was immediately replaced. We subsequently attempted to make contact with Ms Ribbons a number of times and when we spoke with her advised her of the Customer Services process."