A McDonald’s employee out of Louisiana is claiming that he was fired after he posted photos of an unsanitary ice cream machine. Two of the photos were of 18-year-old Nick holding two of the machine’s trays that were filled to the brim with mold.
Nick was instructed to refill the ice cream machine, but spilled some of the mixture while doing so, so he took the machine apart to clean it. He tells Buzzfeed that he was “completely shocked” by what he saw next. Even though Nick says that he figured the machines were cleaned regularly, he says then he nor any of his employees were told to clean it.
Nick found support by other fast food workers after he was blamed for the mold.
Before he got the pink slip, Nick decided to share more cringeworthy photos of the resturant’s conditions.
John Valluzzo, the owner of the McDonald’s, released a statement to BuzzFeedexplaining that the resturant “regularly conduct[s] in-person and online employee training sessions as well as internal inspections to ensure crew members are following safe food practices.” Nick says that wasn’t the case. “The working conditions were ridiculous — everyone was inappropriate and nothing was clean,” he said.
After gaining momentum on Twitter, more fast-food workers from rivals like Wendy’s and Chick-fil-A shared photos and stories of their clean and not-so-clean work environments.
Nick said after he was fired he came into contact with representatives from the brand that allegedly pleaded with him to delete his tweets. “They were very disrespectful,” he said.”They were begging me to delete my tweet. They said I was slandering [the] McDonald’s brand. I don’t tweet lies. I took the tray out and took a picture.”
Since the resturant is a locally owned franchise, McDonald’s reps were unable to speak on the matter.